Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Do not fear failing.....ever!

Every job I have ever taken, and any task I have ever confronted, involved me evaluating my abilities and asking myself the same question,
"Am I qualified to do this?".


Whenever the answer was no the next question was,
"Can I learn it fast enough that I won't screw up, won't kill myself or anyone else, and will no one notice?".



From the book
"Why Don't Students Like School? A Cognitive Scientist Answers Questions About How the Mind Works and What It Means for the Classroom" ,Dan Willingham points out, on p. 143,

If you want to increase your intelligence, you have to challenge yourself. That means taking on tasks that are a bit beyond your reach, and that means you may very well fail, at least the first time around. Fear of failure can therefore be a significant obstacle to tackling this sort of challenging work, but failure should not be a big deal."


Always be ready to make mistakes, learn from them, and make yourself more than what you are today.

Be fearless!

No comments: